Vitiligo can affect any part of the body, including the arms, legs, and commonly the chest, abdomen and back areas. The larger the area of de-pigmentation the longer it takes for skin re-colouring. Treatments such as phototherapy are ideal for larger areas of vitiligo.
Facts on vitiligo on the body
- Vitiligo can affect any part of the body
- Large white patches of vitiligo can take time to re-colour, in some cases up to 12 months
- Smaller patches, such as facial vitiligo are easier to treat compared to large areas of vitiligo
- Combination therapy with narrowband UVB and anti-inflammatory ointments work best
- Prioritising areas of re-pigmentation is important if large areas of vitiligo are involved
Best treatments for vitiligo on the body