Depigmentation for vitiligo
This treatment is the Michael Jackson treatment for vitiligo and involves removing the remaining normal pigmentation of skin. This is very, very rarely performed, but can be considered if all other repigmentation treatments fail. The process of depigmentation is complicated with numerous side effects. Depigmentation is not performed in our Vitiligo Clinic; however we will co-ordinate this procedure with a Public Hospital if needed.
Facts on depigmentation for vitiligo:
- This removes the last areas of normal pigmented skin
- Depigmentation takes several months to years to perform
- Depigmentation can be considered if all re-pigmentation attempts fail
- Depigmentation can be considered if vitiligo affects over 50% of areas
- This is last resort treatment for vitiligo